About Digital Advertising
Online Marketing has made its presence felt in India during the last few years. Last year, digital media grew about 29.4%. This increase can be attributed to a number of factors.
- India is now the 2nd largest smartphone market based on the number of shipments
- India has reached a telecom subscriber base of 1.19 Billion
- 3G & 4G constitute over 75% of the overall wireless internet user base
- Data charges have fell significantly to INR 4-6 per GB
- Massive increase in data consumption ~3.9 GB per month per smartphone
- Payments have gone digital with mobile wallets like PayTM, Mobikwik and BHIM, UPI entrants like Google Tez, Payment Gateways such as CCAvenue and Citrus Pay
- 250 Million people viewed videos online in 2017, a 64% jump
- Digital Ad spend contributed 17% of total Ad spend in India in 2017.
(Source: Reimagining India’s M&E Sector, FICCI-EY report 2018)
The abovementioned facts prove that online marketing is the future of marketing and advertising.
Benefits of digital marketing
Digital marketing benefits businesses of all sizes by giving access to the mass market at an affordable price. Unlike TV or print advertising, it allows truly personalized marketing.
The main advantage of digital marketing is that a targeted audience can be reached in a cost-effective and measurable way. Other digital marketing advantages include increasing brand loyalty and driving online sales.
The benefits of digital marketing include:
Global reach – a website allows you to find new markets and trade globally for only a small investment.
Lower cost – a properly planned and effectively targeted digital marketing campaign can reach the right customers at a much lower cost than traditional marketing methods.
Trackable, measurable results – measuring your online marketing with web analytics and other online metrics tools makes it easier to establish how effective your campaign has been. You can obtain detailed information about how customers use your website or respond to your advertising. Web analytics can be set up to show you exactly how much money you make from each digital tactic.
Personalisation – if your customer database is linked to your website, then whenever someone visits the site, you can greet them with targeted offers. The more they buy from you, the more you can refine your customer profile and market effectively to them.
Openness – by getting involved with social media and managing it carefully, you can build customer loyalty and create a reputation for being easy to engage with.
Social currency – digital marketing lets you create engaging campaigns using different types of rich media content. On the internet these campaigns can gain social currency – being passed from user to user and becoming viral.
Improved conversion rates – if you have a website, then your customers are only ever a few clicks away from completing a purchase. Unlike other media which require people to get up and make a phone call, or go to a shop, digital marketing can be seamless and immediate.
Advantages of Digital Advertising in India
Internet marketing comes with the following advantages that are worth considering:
- Suitable for low budget campaigns: There is no minimum spend limit for online marketing so digital marketing cost in India can be as low as INR 1000 also
- Measurable ROI: One can track the performance of the online marketing campaigns and compare the results and ROI.
- Easy to control: One can control the inputs of the internet marketing campaign by monitoring the campaign performance in real time and pause or stop it whenever required.
- Precise Targeting: One can target the desired customer group as per the digital advertising requirements like demographics, interest, expenditure etc.
- Global Reach: The reach of digital advertising is not necessarily restricted to the city, state or nation.
- Greater Engagement: Internet marketing provides the advertiser an opportunity to converse with the audience and it does not remain a one way communication only. An online marketing campaign is successful when a customer interacts with the advertisement
Digital Advertising: Basic terminologies to help you book your online marketing campaign with digital marketing agency
- Impressions: Impression refers to how many times a user have been exposed to your online advertisement. For example, if your ad has been seen by a user 5 times, it is equal to 5 impressions.
- CTR or Click Through Rate: This is a ratio which tells the advertiser out of the total number of impressions of the ad, how many times did the user clicked on the ad to visit the landing page.. For example, an ad was shown to 100 people and 5 people clicked on the ad so the CTR is 5%
- Conversion: On setting up an online campaign, the advertiser has to define the goal expected from the user like website visit, filling up a lead form, downloading an app. whenever this goal is achieved, it is known as a conversion.
- Call To Action: Online advertising campaigns require the audience to interact with the ad by taking some actions. This link which helps the user to take action is known as call to action. For example, book now; request a quote, join now, sign up for newsletters etc.
- Frequency Capping: This is a feature in online advertising where the advertiser can limit the maximum number of times a user can view a particular ad
- Geo Targeting: Geo targeting refers to targeting the audience in particular locations, for example, all tier 1 cities in India
- Audience Targeting: Audience targeting can be done based on gender, age, income, interests etc. The criteria would vary platform wise.